Friday 27 September 2013

Treasure Finds at Knit-O-Matic

My apologies, I meant to get this post up earlier!  But I was distracted by knitting. Can I be forgiven?

Ok.

Anyway.

Due to scheduling between my volunteer work and choir practice, there is the occasional day where I don't have enough time to go home, but I still have time to kill.  And Knit-O-Matic is basically right along my travel path.

So I decided to stick my head in there (I'd only been briefly, once before), and hang out and knit.

It was actually really awesome.  They've got a good selection of yarn (and for the more budget conscious, their sale bins usually have something awesome in them), and the woman I met (whom I'm assuming is the store's owner, and I'm sadly blanking on her name), had a real live lovebird on her shoulder, which is amazing!

I am the type that if I'm in a new yarn store and I've spent a good bit of time knitting, I find it polite to buy something.  I've taken up their time, used their space; I don't mind supporting them. (If I'm a regular, I won't buy something every time I'm there, but I do still try and buy something occassionally, even it's just a snack, tea, or a new set of needles).

So I walked away with three things:

1) Two skeins of Dream in Colour Classy from their Sale Bin:

"Some Summer Sky"

and "Midnight Derby".


I have plans for both skeins already, both are, hopefully, going to become heavy socks.

Speaking of socks, though, the far more exciting find, though, was a copy of "Knit.Sock.Love"

While the e-book on Ravelry isn't too badly priced, the physical book is out of print, and, due to oddities (or should that be stupidities?) in Amazon's pricing algorithms, is currently priced at around 300 dollars for a new copy and starts at 60 for a used copy. My copy was 35 dollars and change, which is far more reasonable. 

When I saw that on the shelf, I just knew I -had- to pick it up while I had the chance.  Though I'm not a sock-knitting addict, socks make wonderful portable projects, and great gifts.  You can never have too many sock patterns, I figure, since you will almost always need more socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment